Robust Immune Responses Elicited by Combination Vaccine
A new development in the field of immunization has emerged with the successful early study of a combination vaccine for influenza and COVID-19. This innovative approach, spearheaded by Pfizer-BioNTech, could alter the future landscape on how healthcare professionals tackle these two respiratory diseases.
- The combination vaccine candidate elicited robust immune responses to influenza A, influenza B, and SARS-CoV-2 strains.
- Positive topline results were announced from a phase 1/2 study evaluating the immunogenicity, safety, and tolerability of Pfizer-BioNTech’s mRNA-based combination vaccine candidate.
- The study included approximately 990 healthy adults aged 18 to 64 years.
- The safety profile of the vaccine candidate was consistent with that observed for Pfizer-BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine.
- A phase 3 trial evaluating the mRNA-based combination vaccine is expected to begin in the coming months.
- The vaccine candidate has received Fast Track designation from the Food and Drug Administration.
“This vaccine has the potential to lessen the impact of two respiratory diseases with a single injection and may simplify immunization practices for providers, patients, and health care systems all over the world.”
— Annaliesa Anderson, PhD, FAAM, Senior Vice President and Head, Vaccine Research and Development at Pfizer
More on Vaccines/Immunization