Last updated: March 30, 2021
This privacy notice will inform you about the types of personal, behavioral, and other information that the Healthcare Communications Network (“Network,” “we,” “our,” or “us”) collects about you and how we may use that information.
The Network is designed to provide health care professionals with professionally relevant information only.
The Information We Collect
- We may collect information that can be used to identify you, and other personal information you voluntarily submit, as part of a registration process at a Network member’s website. We may combine the personal information we collect about you with other personal information about you that we obtain from public or private sources. We may also collect information as a result of your interaction with any Network member’s website, a DMD client (“Client”) website, any website where relevant advertising might occur, or any communication received directly or indirectly from us. This means we may collect information from you, and about you, through multiple locations, not just the website through which you initially register.
- The information we may collect automatically, on or through, Network member websites, or Client websites, includes your Internet protocol (IP) address, user agent strings, mobile device identification number, geolocation data, browser type, page access history, linking information, click stream data, page visits, page views, and/or website log files. If we identify that you are accessing Network or Client websites through multiple devices, we will associate each such device with your profile.
How We Use Your Information
We may use the information we collect from you in the following ways:
- To identify and verify your professional medical status by checking your information against the information listed on available databases, including those made available by the American Medical Association, the NPPES NPI Registry, and/or state licensing boards.
- To analyze data at an aggregate and/or individual level to personalize and enhance your experience while interacting with Network member, Client websites, any website where relevant advertising might occur, and across the various communication channels you use to receive professionally relevant information.
- To identity individuals who visit a website or group of websites where relevant advertising might occur. Personal information, such as the email address, of an individual or group of individuals who meet targeting criteria might be shared with Network members or Clients so that relevant advertising or marketing communications can be delivered. In certain cases, such as social media websites, a proprietary file from the website that identifies these individuals might be shared with Network members or Clients so that relevant advertising or marketing communication can be delivered.
- To allow us or our Clients to deliver the type of content and services that we believe may be of interest to you as a health care professional. Such content might be delivered to you as an email, an advertisement on a website, a promotional item on a social media platform (a sponsored post, advertisement, etc.), an advertisement delivered via a connected television platform or other connected device. Such content will be targeted to your professional experience and/or interests, based on your professional activities and/or other information we have collected or otherwise able to access.
- To use automated processing of personal information to evaluate certain personal aspects relating to you or to predict aspects of your work, economic situation, health, personal preferences, interests, behavior, or location.
- To monitor usage and interaction statistics on Network member, Client websites, any website where relevant advertising might occur, and/or through responses to communications.
- To establish your online account and authenticate you during login at any website that provides medically relevant information.
- To share your engagement information with the sponsor(s) of the medically relevant programs with which you interact.
- To determine your geographical location in order to exclude non-U.S. participants.
How We Protect Your Information
We have established and implemented reasonable physical, electronic, and administrative procedures designed to safeguard and secure the personal information we collect and maintain online. Nevertheless, we can not guarantee the security of information that is transmitted over the Internet or stored on our servers. Any information you provide to us, whether directly, or through a Network member or Client website, is at your own risk.
Please note that we do not have any control over, or responsibility for, information you provide to or through Network member, Client websites, or any website where relevant advertising might occur. Those websites are not managed by the Network. Any concern you may have regarding how a particular Network member or Client website protects personal information should be directed to that specific Network member or Client.
When We Disclose Your Information to Outside Parties
We may use your personal information, including disclosure to trusted third parties, in the following circumstances:
- Verification. While all Network communications are designed to be professionally relevant to health care professionals, certain information, products, and services we provide only to specific types of medical professionals. To ensure that we are delivering the information, products, and services as may be required by law, guidelines (e.g., Certified Medical Education and PDMA) or contract, we may share your information with third-party sources to verify your eligibility to receive the content.
- Network Members. The Network exists to allow members to share relevant information, including visitor’s personal information, with one another. We may disclose your personal information to any/all members of the Network for their own purposes and subject to their individual privacy policies.
- DMD Client. We may disclose your personal information with any/all clients of DMD who provide healthcare products or services. DMD clients are granted the right to use this personal information for communication, advertising, or analytics purposes, geared to your profession or professional interests.
- Websites Where Relevant Advertising Might Occur. We may disclose your personal information to any website were medically relevant advertising might occur so that the website can select the most appropriate content, either advertising or page content, based on your individual profile. These websites may report back to DMD the advertising that you saw on their site or the content that you interacted with.
- Subsidiaries and Affiliates. We may disclose your personal information to our subsidiaries and corporate affiliates, each of which may use your personal information consistent with this policy.
- Service Providers. We may disclose your personal information to service providers (e.g., analytics companies) in order for them to perform services for us.
- Enforcement of Rights/Security. We may disclose your personal information (i) when we believe we are required to do so (e.g. we have received a subpoena), (ii) when we believe it is necessary to protect and/or enforce the rights, property interests, or safety of DMD, Network members, our users, clients, or others, or (iii) as we deem necessary, for example, to resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, prevent fraud, and otherwise enforce the privacy notice and other user agreements.
- Reorganization or Sale of the Company. In the event that we are merged with or become part of another organization, we are sold, we sell all — or substantially all — of our assets, or we are otherwise reorganized, the information we maintain, including your personal information will be one of the assets licensed, sold or otherwise transferred.
- As Otherwise Allowed by Law. We may disclose or transfer personal information to third parties where we are expressly authorized by applicable law to do so.
- Consideration. In each of the uses described above, we may choose to rent, release, disclose, disseminate, make available, or sell your personal information to another business or third party in return for monetary or other valuable consideration.
Managing Your Information
If you choose to provide your personal information to a Network member, Client, and/or DMD, you have certain rights to opt out:
- You may opt out of a Network member using your personal information by following the opt out instructions on that specific website.
- You may opt out of DMD using your personal information by sending an email with your specific request, along with your name, email address, and NPI number (if available), to email@example.com. We may ask you for additional information to authenticate your request.
- You may opt out of receiving email communications from DMD, a Network member, or a Client by utilizing the opt out mechanism found in the email you received. This will remove you from the email list for that specific program or campaign.
- You may remove the cookies, pixels, beacons, or similar device that may communicate information to us. To remove these devices, please follow the instructions provider by the manufacturer of your browser.
- You may remove the AIM Tag by clearing the cookies and the cache of your browser. Please follow the instructions provider by the manufacturer of your browser for these operations.
Depending on your data privacy choices, certain services may be limited or unavailable.
Additional Rights for Residents of Certain States
Residents of certain U.S. states may have additional or modified data privacy rights based on laws passed in that state. To see how the Network complies with these laws, please visit our State-Specific Rights page.
The Network is only intended for medical professionals who are U.S. citizens. The Network is not intended to provide information about products and services to medical professionals who are not U.S. citizens. DMD does not knowingly send communications to, or track web activity for, medical professionals who are not U.S. citizens or based in the United States, and utilizes reasonable measures, including technical measures, which are designed to identify recipients who are located outside of the U.S. Nevertheless, in the event you are a non-US citizen, you consent to the processing of your personal information in accordance with this privacy notice
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to modify this privacy notice at any time without notice.
Attention: Chief Privacy Officer
10255 West Higgins Road
Rosemont, IL 60018
Be sure to include your name, address, and email address if you want to receive a response by email. Otherwise, we will respond by postal mail within the time required by applicable law.
Effective Date: July 1, 2020
To see how the Network complies with these laws, please visit our State-Specific Rights page.