Leveraging Dentistry to Enhance Holistic Health
The dental chair serves as more than just a place for oral care. It’s a unique platform where dentists can play a pivotal role in improving their patients’ overall health, including mental well-being. This article explores how and why dental practices should integrate mental health support into their services.
HCN Medical Memo
As dentists, we must acknowledge the integral role we play in our patients’ holistic health. By actively integrating mental health support into our practices, we can improve health outcomes for our patients and provide better care.
- Dental professionals are in a unique position to provide holistic care that improves patients’ overall health and well-being.
- With as many as 27 million patients seeing a dentist every year but forgoing doctor visits, dentists often serve as a main entry point to the healthcare system.
- There’s a substantial link between oral and mental health.
- Active integration of mental health support into dental practices can bridge the gap between oral, mental, and physical health.
“Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.”
– World Health Organization
More on Mental Health