The AOA’s Research & Information Committee (RIC) conducted the survey this past summer, with findings published in the AOA Health Policy Institute brief:
- 93% of doctors who provide myopia management work in cities, with 71% working independently.
- Before beginning myopia management protocols, 73% believe an annual progression of 0.5 to 0.75 diopters is required.
- The most important risk factor for myopia management was determined to be refractive error.
- Soft (contact) lenses approved by the FDA were the preferred treatment method.
- 33% of myopia management candidates postpone treatment; 80% of these patients postpone treatment due to financial constraints.