Wegovy is a glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist.
The updated prescribing information for Wegovy (semaglutide) now includes new guidelines for maintenance dosing in adults and pediatric patients. This change is based on a recent study and offers more flexibility in dosing options for adults, while pediatric dosing remains unchanged.
- Wegovy is used for chronic weight management in adults and pediatric patients with specific BMI criteria.
- The maintenance dosage for adults can now be either 2.4mg (recommended) or 1.7mg once weekly.
- The update was informed by a study involving 401 East Asian patients, showing significant weight reduction with both 1.7mg and 2.4mg doses.
- Previously, the labeling required discontinuation in adults unable to tolerate 2.4mg; this has been removed, and 1.7mg has been added as an option.
- Pediatric maintenance dosage remains at 2.4mg once weekly.
- Treatment response and tolerability are key factors in selecting the maintenance dosage.
- The updated guidelines provide more flexibility in adult maintenance dosing, reflecting the latest research findings, while pediatric guidelines remain consistent.