Navigating the Interplay of Eliquis and Dietary Habits
As physicians, understanding the nuances of apixaban (Eliquis) and its interaction with diet is crucial for optimal patient care. While taking Eliquis, there are no specific foods to avoid, but people with cardiovascular issues should steer clear of coffee and foods heavy in fat.
- Eliquis, an anticoagulant, works by inhibiting clotting factor Xa.
- Unlike warfarin, Eliquis doesn’t interact with vitamin K-rich foods.
- Eliquis is available in 2.5 mg and 5 mg doses, taken twice daily.
- No specific foods negatively interact with Eliquis.
- Patients with coronary artery disease (CAD) or AFib should limit caffeine intake.
- Certain herbs and supplements can increase bleeding risk when combined with Eliquis.
- Gastrointestinal blood loss is a serious side effect to monitor in patients on Eliquis.