Streamlining Management Practices for Optical Business Growth
In the ever-evolving landscape of optical practice management, learning from mistakes is crucial for sustainable growth. Dr. David Holler, President of Clarity Vision of Apex in Apex, NC, discusses how his practice overcame managerial errors to not only increase frame sales by 30% but also expand from a 1.5 to a 5 OD practice within a year.
- Opticians were making unauthorized side agreements with vendors, leading to issues like overstocking and overpaying for frames.
- Rectifying this by disciplining team members and setting new vendor policies led to a 30% increase in frame sales.
- Abuses in employee credit card usage for business trips were curbed by setting clear reimbursement guidelines.
- Employment agreements are now mandatory for both full-time and part-time doctors to prevent abrupt exits and ensure commitment.
- Improved team rapport and patient service were noted after the changes.
- Sales of transitions lenses increased by 3% after more selective employee training.
- Stronger relationships were built with key vendors by avoiding desperate sales reps.
- Effective management practices, from vendor relations to employee agreements, are vital for the growth and stability of an optical practice. The case study demonstrates that proactive corrections can lead to significant improvements in sales and team cohesion.
“I can only be as good as the people working in our office. We need to be unified in our commitment to the practice.”
– David Holler, OD, FAAO, FSLS