Suspension of Premier Cancer Center Director Raises Questions on Academic Integrity and Accountability
Dr. Benjamin Neel, the former director of the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center at New York University, has been suspended. The suspension comes amid concerns over several of his papers, although Neel insists that the suspension is unrelated to comments about his work on PubPeer.
- Dr. Benjamin Neel has been suspended from his role as director of the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center.
- Jeffrey S. Weber, MD, PhD, will serve as interim director of the Perlmutter Cancer Center.
- Several of Neel’s papers have been scrutinized on PubPeer for more than eight years.
- Neel has frequently responded to issues pointed out with figures in his articles.
- None of the articles under scrutiny have yet been retracted.
- Neel asserts that the suspension is unrelated to the PubPeer comments.
According to a report by the Office of Research Integrity, US Department of Health and Human Services, there were 12 findings of research misconduct in 2020. (Source: ORI Annual Report 2020).
More on Medical Ethics